Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Rosy

Hello friends :>) I took a few days off for some projects and just getting things done. I'm behind in answering my email, so bear with me. If you haven't heard from me it's because I've been unplugged for a bit.
This is one of the projects I worked on. Remember the spray roses that my darling daughter got for me? Well this rose wreath is now hanging in the cottage window in the bathroom brightening things up and making me think of spring mornings and roses blooming.
 I started by cutting a hollow heart shape from a large piece of cardboard I had kept.  I used the rest of the cardboard to try to keep things contained and easier to clean up because this is a fairly messy project! If you have some dried roses hanging around, (and you may after Valentines day!) and you want to try this you will need just a few simple items.
     1. dried flowers
     2. a package of moss from the craft store
     3. white glue
     4. hot glue
     5. scissors

The first thing I did was pour a liberal amount of white glue on the cardboard form.  I didn't have a lot of hot glue sticks and wasn't sure I would have enough to glue the moss and the roses on. The white glue did a fine job of holding the moss on.  I also cut some of the brown roots off the moss so it wasn't so thick and so I wouldn't have a lot of brown in my background. The moss still held together well even with the brown stuff trimmed off. Just pack it on so all of the cardboard is covered.  I also ran hot glue along the edges of the heart so I wouldn't have any corrugated edge showing when this was finished. I used all the tiny bits of moss that fell off or were left over to cover the edges.

 
Then, I just glued the roses to the front with my glue gun until it was covered.  A few loose outer petals fell off as I handled the roses, but they lost very few and if I had needed to, I could have used some of the petals that fell to fill in areas that had a gap.  When I was finished, I hot glued a deep green velvet ribbon from my stash to the back as a hanger.  It's a pretty simple project but I love how it turned out. I can enjoy my roses for a long time, and see how well they retained their color?


 I had enough moss and roses left over to cover the little center heart that I cut out of the cardboard form for my larger heart.  So two rosy wreaths from one little bunch of grocery store roses! This one got a pretty green and white polka dot ribbon hanger and I am going to hang it from the lamp in the dining room.
So there you have it, a simple and inexpensive way to enjoy your roses longer.  If I were going to make more of these, I would keep an eye out in the mark down bin at my Kroger store. They often have a surplus of spray roses reduced.
I need to go catch up with everyone.  I hope you're having a good week so far. Spring can't be far now:>)

20 comments:

  1. Kathy! This is so pretty! I'm not crafty at all but I did save some white roses to dry. I might have to add another dried bouquet to it but heck, hearts can be year round!! What did you use to cute the heart shape out with? It looks so perfect!

    Great job and thanks for sharing! :)

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to put this one on my craft list to do. It is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flowers dried so beautifully and I love the wreath. Getting 6-10 inches of snow tomorrow through Thursday. So much for my daffodils popping up through the ground. But I agree, spring is coming!! It won't be long before roses are in the garden, but I wish I had your beautiful wreath to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your wreath is very pretty. What size is it? You sure are putting the roses from your daughter to good use. She ought to love that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Kathy. The moss and the dried roses are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! I need to cut my smaller roses from my climbing roses this summer before they fall apart to do this. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That turned out so pretty! What a great way to preserve your roses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so impressed with this project of yours! It looks darling and is a wonderful recycling or extending of your beautiful roses. I also adore your header! I may have mentioned that, but one can't say it too much. It's just spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How pretty! I love the softness of it, very romantic! Perfect for Valentine's!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kathy. Your rose wreath is gorgeous! You just have a knack of making everything look beautiful. I am watching the snow fall heavily outside my window. It reminds me of all the years I lived in Canada. Looks like we are going to get a lot of snow today. At least here in the south it will all be gone in 2 days. Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  11. absolutely gorgeous!!! You have such talent! I would be all thumbs with this project. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely wreath! I have a weakness for dreid roses...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love both of them Kathy! They really look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love both of these projects! Great ideas. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love both of these projects! Great ideas. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kathy
    The lovely roses your daughter bought you are going to bless you for a long, long time!
    I love how your hearts turned out and thank you for the tutorial too
    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMGosh...I am sooo in love with both these beauties.
    I am not sure HOW to dry flowers...especially keeping the beautiful color. I am going to google and see if I can find directions...then I want to make one...or two. :)
    Beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sweet! Charming way to savor those roses. Now, I also have to say I buzzed by your store and....I am LOVING the mixer decals. So cute! Did you design them? Do you have more in the works? I love your tea cozy too. Can't wait to see more. Now I Just have to sell some things so I can buy some stuff for myself! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)